April 10, 2014

Success story of Jayati Bandyopadhyay - Interaction Design at IDC IITB

Jayati Bandyopadhyay made it to Interaction Design at IDC IITB! Here is her success story



It was probably last March or April when I got to know about CEED from a friend and was completely awestruck and overwhelmed to see the previous year papers. They were so very different and yet pertaining to everyday problems and its solutions. So, I decided to appear for CEED.

Cracking CEED

Though I could not devote enough time to hone my sketching skills, I made it a point to go through each of the available question papers and finding their solutions. Generally, the answers are evaluated based on given criteria, like perspective, light and shadow etc. So I felt the picture composition as a whole is important. CEED may be unpredictable, but it has a definite pattern. Trying to formulate problems and generate solutions might help in a way. On a lighter note, I thought I will not be able to crack CEED as I was not confident enough regarding Part A (loads of logos, cultural aspects and a few technical questions) and ended up checking my score 2days later!

IDC Admission form

My greatest mistake was not to concentrate on making a portfolio once CEED was over. Whether you crack CEED or not, start making your portfolio! Because, once the result is declared, no amount of time will be enough to make things look impeccable! IDC admission form demands not only previous background and qualifications, but also a set of tasks for each stream including portfolio. I decided to apply for both Visual Communication (VC) and Interaction Design (IN) as I thought it would increase my chance to get into IDC. Photoshop skills really came handy while designing the portfolio. I restricted myself to maximum 2 pages for each work with less text and more screenshots of my apps and websites (small explanation for all screenshots). Any future scopes and ideas can also be part of your portfolio. And how can I not mention Prasanna's name who replied to every single email and post I sent him! He is a life saver!!



IDC Written Test & Interview

The written test was of one and a half hours duration where we were asked to jot down existing problems and their corresponding solutions, and elaborate on any one of the solutions of a railway station, given touch screens have become extremely cheap and can be cut or folded into various shapes. In VC, we were asked to design a poster, asking for aid for any one of the severe problems that India is currently facing. For the interview, I had a powerpoint presentation, hard copy of portfolio and working apps loaded in my mobile. I kept my best work at the beginning and also included my paintings and sketches. The IN panel was extremely co-operative and asked a lot of questions regarding my work and the written test and I had two interviews for IN! The VC interview lasted for only 2mins though! Both the panels asked about my preference (VC / IN ).


I must admit that I did not expect things to turn out the way they did. I am extremely thankful to people who pointed out my weakness and helped me get better. If you have any questions, feel free to mail me at jayati.bandyopadhyay@gmail.com.










7 comments:

Unknown said...

congrates Jayati

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Really got a lot to learn thank youu! !

Pratiti Sarkar said...

Is there any shortlisting after the DAT test for Interview round? Also, do we need to wear formals for interview?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Pratiti
1. All people who are called for DAT are expected to appear for the interview
2. I strongly recommend wearing formals. Though this is not a job interview, formals are safest, because they convey that you are taking this interview seriously and with a professional conduct :)
All the best!

Pratiti Sarkar said...

Also, I have been shortlisted to appear in 2 interviews: Visual Communication and Interaction Design. Can you please let me know how the portfolios should be made? Should I make 2 different portfolios with the respective works or should I make a single portfolio and show the same in both the interviews by changing the order of the work?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Discussion