August 04, 2015

Success Story : Palash Ghawde (NID - PD)

First of all I would like to sincerely thank Prasanna Sir for his unbounded support and guidance.
This blog itself is self sufficient for preparation for the dream design college you vouch. Still he does every bit to help in whichever way he can whenever you drop him a mail for reviews on your work or on the silliest of your insecurities.

I have rarely come across people with such level of selfless help and pleasing nature as him. I shall be always indebted towards his guidance and support.
 About my success story, well it’s was more of a rollercoaster ride at the end of which I didn’t feel sick but thrilled.

I’m Palash Ghawde born and brought up in Mumbai.I was always a car fanatic since my early years and was always keen to open up things and explore.

I did my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Saraswati College of Engg.,Kharghar with an average CGPA but some substantial extra circulars. I along with my friends started a SAE club and then started our student racing team “ Prahaar Racing “ wherein we ended up making two race cars for national level events Baja and Supra.I also have worked with Air India for my graduation project.
I hunted for a job and couldn’t find a proper one which lead me to reviving my lost dream of being an Automobile Designer. After bearing the brunt of being from a mediocre college i decided i would only aim for the best. CEED 2015 and NID DAT happened. Sketched alot, solved many questions papers(refer this blog to know what to do ).

I somehow cleared CEED with a bad rank(433) , still got a call for MVD @ IIT B IDC and IIITDM J.I started preparing my portfolio but they were least interested in it when I went for the interview. My first interview at my dream college lasted only for few minutes and i knew I was out the moment i walked out. I was working as an Assistant Professor at an Engineering college in the year gap which i took so that i could support my family. They hence dragged me back to engineering basics and weren’t convinced. I had made a huge blunder.

I was quite shell shocked and that continued as my application didn’t clear most of the IIT’s. Meanwhile I cleared IIITDM J for Product Design, the interview went well and the faculty was receptive and took effort to interact and understand my work and me(Unlike IIT B).
I was happy but not elated I wanted to pursue the course from the best. I was called for interview at MIT Pune for Transportation Design .Gaurang Sir (HOD and ex NIDian) was impressed with my Product Design works which I had included for Jabalpur and referred me to their Product Design panel. Funny thing is I was selected Product and not for Transportation.

I was shell shocked again when I cleared NID DAT and got a call for both Product and Transportation design. I gave the best I could do for preparing for Studio tests and updating my portfolio. A few seniors whom i knew guided me during this time.

I had secured admission at IIITDM Jabalpur but NID was amongst my dream colleges. When i visited the college for the selection process I was so mesmerised by the whole atmosphere (not the climatic one, Ahmedabad is unbearably hot)  that i was confused should I take another year drop to make it here. The Studio tests didn’t go so well, I could have done better but the interviews were good.
After a long wait the results were out only for me to realize that I will have to wait longer.

I was on Waitlist 1 for Transportation and WL 2 for Product Design. I tell you guys that were the most frustrating and most hopeful feeling ever both at the same time. I had literal sleepless confused nights for a month, torn in-between whether to book tickets for Jabalpur or Ahmadabad.
Finally the last date arrived I called them up. They told me there were no vacancies left.
I was in shock, after coming so close I was rejected. I sat at the same spot for two hours only to get a call from them again to say that I have cleared my waitlist 2 for Product Design.

Today Im writing this as I sit at NID’s Paldi campus , my course starts next week .It’s a wonderful feeling, a dream come true. But it’s only a start the real learning and struggle starts now.
I haven’t written details about my portfolio or interview because i feel if you have the will power you will clear through it.

All the best for your preparations, you can mail me at palashghawe@gmail.com if you need any help.

My only advice would be to have faith in yourself and give your best.
You hardly have any control over how things work.
You need to work at your best ,hope for the impossible, and leave the rest.

“Whatever has to happen will happen.”







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Its stories like these that inspire me to keep moving forward and not give up. I'll be trying out my luck in Transportation and Product design soon too.

Congrats on making it.Keep up the good work. :D

DMM Jhon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jimmy Patel said...

you inspired me for entrance exam and really appreciated your hard work to being in dream college.
i am also from mechanical engineering background with average CGPA and having a dream to be in NID. :D
keep moving and Thanks for sharing your experience.

aditya said...

Lovely story brother. I appeared for this years NID & CEED examination. I'm Waitlisted with rank 1 for NMD & 3 for interaction design. Lets hope I clear it :)

Post a Comment

Discussion