July 23, 2012

Abhishek Verma's experience: IDC, IIT-B in animation film design

   After reading Surbhi's and Mrinal's success stories, our friend Abhishek Verma obliged us by sharing his story with us! Thank you so much Abhishek for your generous contribution! Here it is

Admission to Animation in IDC , IIT BOMBAY.

Hi all,
I am Abhishek Verma, by profession I am an engineer but had a knack of scribbling and drawing and used to get inspired from realistic art, cinematography and good editing work in cinema.
I did my engineering in comp science then joined NOKIA SIEMENS R&D centre in Bangalore as an R&D engineer. I worked there for about 11 ½ months and then joined IDC, IIT Bombay in animation film design course now. Equally I keep deep interest in Hindi Cinema and Korean films.

Hobby: watching Hindi cinema, drawing, designing tattoos, posters, making short documentaries, editing, cinematography and exploring general place of interest.

Now moving to Animation in IDC, there are only 12-13 seats all India for specialization in animation course and getting into it have a three major steps.
  
a.  CEED (Common entrance exam for design) 

b.  IDC written test(only 100 selected all India for this written test , based on CEED score/rank and cut off put by IITb).

c.   Interview

CEED keeps changing its pattern every year so you can’t predict anything prior to examination, better to solve all previous years’ papers, it will provide youinsight, how the paper moves and how we have to change the thinking and way of preparing for the exam.

IDC written exam: It is also unpredictable, they will tell you design very common thing , which you may be seeing in everyday life, but never noticed. So from today keep an eye on everything…. Means be a good observer.:-). And for animation mainly Story board design, character design etc. will be given.

INTERVIEW (Most important)-15 min [TALK>SHOW YOUR WORK>DISCUSS]
Passion: Be passionate, if you try to fake them, they will get to know, so be truthful. Tell them what you have done before, tell them everything. Explain your interest, discuss your work- these things automatically reflects you passion and interest about this course of study.
Talk: If you get a chance for interview talk to the panel, they are really very nice, they will listen you. Do not be in haste and talk nasty, just talk to them as a introducing yourself to new friend.
Discuss: while talking , they will ask about your work you have showed or done. Just don’t give justification. Discuss. For example:- As I have worked in this play, I pen down the script keeping an idea of contemporary culture and retro culture prevailing in our society and living style…. Such and such.
Put your Ideas: This is very important as they select all India 13 people and you will find all of them from different background and idea. Some you will find from fine arts, engineer,architect, professional artist and many more. So when you will put your ideas, they will listen and ask you question concerning them. So if you are going to put your ideas, be sure it is your own idea. Avoid Copy and paste.
Show some of your good work: Here make sure that in 15 min of total time, keep your work (art, designs, and videos) maximum of 4-5 minutes, rest of the time do what I written above. Here also work should be your own. They make discuss  your work in very detail. As I said that I do mime-so panel asked me to do mime. Be ready .

·         Some common things (MUST)

a.       Be a good observer.
b.      Draw any thing what you see.
c.       Always keep a note book , so where ever you go you can draw.
d.      Improve your perspective- how things look from different angles.
e.      See good works of famous artists-know how
f.        Keep all your works.
g.       For portfolio-keep 10-15 drawings(max) and one video(animation/editing/cinematography) of 2-3 min(max).
h.      Solve CEED papers.
i.         Learn to draw story boards.
j.        Read graphic novels.
k.       Watch good films-animation and motion pictures.
l.         General knowledge about Indian animation.

 
That’s all friends, all the best!
Thank you.
Best regards,
Abhishek Verma
For any queries please write me on abhishekvermassit@gmail.com
You can see my portfolio in :www.coroflot.com/vermatisans

 
 
Related stories:
 
Related posts:

45 comments:

Chetan Yadav said...

Hello
thank you for the post. Prasanna sir I would like to ask you a ques, if I'm good at cartooning and cartoon-strip story telling then, is animation the right field?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

yes, u r right Chetan. cartooning and cartoon-strip comes under animation, but it also comes under visial communication. you can try for both

Chetan Yadav said...

thank you sir

vinod said...

sir whatever u made in portfolio ....that all r skeching or u made these in any software

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Vinod,
You can refer to Abhishek's portfolio here : www.coroflot.com/vermatisans

you can easily figure out what medium he has used

vinod said...

thanku sir................

Riken Patel said...

Dear Sir,
I am B.E(E&C) student. I am going to apply for M.des in either visual communication or interaction design. I am worried about my portfolio. What should i include in it?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Riken,
You can refer to this post for tips on making portfolio for Animation. You can use the same methods for making a portfolio for Visual Communication
Best of luck

Unknown said...

hello sir,
I don't have video(animation/editing/cinematography) for my portfolio. Is that really need?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Anukul,
I think thats perfectly alright, if your rest of the portfolio demonstrates your skills and thinking clearly

Unknown said...

thanku sir...

Unknown said...

Hey Prasanna I wanted to ask you how to prepare for Part B if I have to get qualified for IDC Animation?

Unknown said...

Prasanna Sir can you plz see my portfolio .
I failed two times for Animation in IDC , I dnt knw what i am lacking .

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi Rahul Kumar,
I will have a look today

vivek said...

hey does the IDC give master of animation in computer 3d animation???????????????
i mean,will i be able to make my own 3d films as that of walt diseny or dreamworks animation.

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Vivek,

IDC does not implicitly teach you animation software, but, yes, by the end of the course you will be able to make world class animations!!
Contact Vasundhara, whose success story is available on this blog, she will guide you better :)

vivek said...

first of all really thnx for rply
no sir not learning software in other words i can explain my question as what diffrerence between animation program at nid or idc and sheriden or gnomon or ringling.
at IDC,IIT BOMBAY---NID,BANGLORE also covers technological part of animation(motion capture).i mean ,i want to be 3d digital character animator(which required to learn emotion art).so are IDC,IIT BOMBAY---NID,BANGLORE best option.if not then why are they consider to be best.
i focussing on curriculum.why r they not including tech. side(motion capture digital techniqes,motion scan v ray mental ray scripting etc.)

fdgjhdagsjh said...

Hi Prasanna,
Is there necessity to join any classes for preparation of ceed examination or we can practice at home and get through it. Can you please guide me. Thanks.

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi,
Classes really work for some guys, but i suggest an approach of self study. You can see all the success story, and you will realize that classes are not really needed to crack CEED. I can guide you
Just drop me a email :)

fdgjhdagsjh said...

ok thank u :)

Unknown said...

hello prasanna sir..
.
i wanna known more about details animation designing in IITs and NIDs..

1. what they taught us in course ..i am asking is it regular rendering in 3D software?

2.how would be the life after the course...like opportunities and salaries e.t.c.,

plz help me...

thank you

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi Prem,

IITs and NIDs go beyond teaching students renderings. They actually teach you how to think and act like a designer! You can have a look at the course content available on their official website

After completing a post graduation in design, you will be placed in a design firm or a studio as a designer. You will be mostly responsible for interacting with customers, gathering information from marketing team and then translating them into a design that the customers will like to have. I cannot comment on the salaries because they vary a lot across spectrum

All the best :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hello sir, would you please help explaining the difference between Communication Design course (@ NID) and Visual Communication course (@IDC).

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi sameer,
I visited the respective web sites but I dont have sufficient information to compare the courses directly.

Unknown said...

Sir please tell ne about , is there reservation system in seats of ceed exam

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi prithvish,
There isnt a reservation system for CEED itself, but SC/ST/PwD candidates have a concession in fees.
You can download CEED brochure here http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/ceed2016/CEED2016_Brochure.pdf
All the best

Unknown said...

Sir I am an aeronautical engineer, there is anyscope related to my branch or field to me for explore my potential...

Unknown said...

What is the minimum scored in ceed to take admission in iisc and iit-b

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi prithvish ,
I suggest you to have a look at IIT and IISc websites to understand what the MDes course teaches you and then decide whether it will give you an opportunity to explore your potential.

The admission cutoffs vary a lot each year. But your best bet to receive an interview call is to stand within all india rank of 20. Again, all india rank does not itself guarantee that a student will get a call. This is based on the work samples and the quality of application. None the less, do give your best shot.

All the best :)

Unknown said...

what is the expected cut off for nid animation and ceed animation ?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi Ankita,
CEED cutoff should be between 35 to 40 marks. IDC Animation cutoff will be based on the number and scores of candidates who apply to IDC and is hard to predict.
All the best

Unknown said...

thank u so much. I am awaiting results. what is the scope in Animation? Also, is there any field where i can use my knowledge of architecture with animation ?

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hi,
You can actually choose any stream you want, because the skills you built during B.Arch can be used for solving problems and expressing the solutions for the same.
The scope for animation is wide in India and would expect it to grow, as many companies abroad outsource much of their animation work to Indian companies.

Unknown said...

hey sir ,i scored AIR 509 in CEED 2016 .is there any chance to get any IIT or IISC Banglore..please help

Sangeetha Nagamanickam said...

I'm a B. Sc IT student pursuing second year, I'm doing diploma in animation too.. Am I eligible for M.design of 2018 batch?? Kindly let me know..

Unknown said...

hii Deepak Rawat - what was your ceed marks ?

Harshita Khandelwal said...

Hello sir. I am Harshita and pursuing civil engineering. I am preparing for ceed 2018 and want to know what should I add in my portfolio if I am aiming for product designing. And is DAT a TECHNICAL one.

Prasanna Gadkari (M.Des in Product Design from I.I.Sc. ) said...

Hello Harshita,
Can you please mail me to pg2005.pg@gmail.com ?
I would need to know about your skills before I suggest you what to add in portfolio.

aakashsonkar5154 said...

I am a computer science engg student can I go for mdes .I don't have good drawing skills .

Vishal Varma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Skein Tech said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Siya Gupta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Preeti Bansal said...

Hello sir. I want to know that if I am interested in graphic designing and motion Graphics, which program in m.des at idc will be suitable for me.

RBX Studio said...

For best digital marketing company in canada visit us!

Post a Comment

Discussion